Friday 3 August 2012

Today's Carnival event was the pavement art competition.
This work caught my eye:
Arry Paye for team GB
 Arry Paye was a famous local pirate and villain after whom, some say, the chalk stacks just along the coast are named.  Old Harry Rocks are a famous local landmark and can be seen in this picture. 
Other authorities say that the stacks are named after the Horned One, the Prince of Darkness, Beelzebub etc. How greedy to have so many aliases?
The good weather continues but some say not for long. If people ask "When is the summer going to start?" the temptation is to say "Sorry, you missed it, it was last week."
I've met some really lovely people as I trudge up and down the beach. Most of them are very complementary about the way our Blue Flag beach is presented. It can be a struggle to keep up with the steady scatter of beer cans, bottles and wet wipes but it is important not to create an atmosphere where people think it is acceptable to leave rubbish behind. It isn't unusual for people, when they see us coming, to quickly collect all the rubbish around them and pass it to us in a bag. We are grateful for this as it does save us a lot of time.

I've just taken delivery of a few copies of my book, so if you want a signed copy stop me on the beach and its yours for £6.50.

If you have enjoyed reading this blog why not take a look at some of my other work, My book "The Art of Coarse Boating" is available at: Buy The-art-of-coarse-boating
 Also see my own website: jeffdray.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment